Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making Lavender Infused Cleaning Products


Making your own cleaning products has made a comeback as many homemakers seek to save money and remove creepy chemicals from their homes. Most of the recipes involve vinegar, water and essential oils. The addition of essential oils encourages a sweet scent and adds a zest of cleaning power to your solution. However...


The oils can really add up! Instead of constantly dropping those expensive ingredients into your concoctions, why not create your own lavender based vinegar to clean with? All you need is a lovely lavender bush (or access to someone else's who doesn't mind a foraging hand) and white vinegar.


We are in love with lavender in our home! Candles, sachets and soaps… Anything infused with the intoxicating scent instantly becomes special. Dare I go a step further and say "housecleaning" products can make daily duties shine? Why not? 

"The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely."
~ Louisa May Alcott


To make your own frugal and fresh scented, lavender cleaning products, simply snip into a clean jar, lots of lavender. This is honestly too easy to make a tutorial out of but since I have so many pictures, please humor me :)


I was short on the flowers due to a prior project so I added a lot of leaves to my mix though you will have a superior infusion with the purple flowers. (Edited to add: My second batch made with pure lavender flowers was nice but I actually preferred the fragrance with the blend of flowers and leaves. I think the addition of the leaves produced better results!)


Once your jar is packed full, cover the contents with white household vinegar. Make sure the lavender is submerged to keep it from molding. 


Lastly, cap your blend with a plastic lid. Let this infusion sit in a sunny spot for three to four weeks. You can replenish the old lavender with a fresh supply after a few weeks to get a stronger product.


Once the month is up, strain and discard the lavender. The lavender infused vinegar is now ready for service and smells heavenly! The scent is absolutely superior than the counterpart recipe using the essential oils.


Make sure you use a fine strainer so that you don't have any particles in your cleaning solution.


Mine came out gold in color because I had so many leaves but it will be a lavender tint if you use more of the flowers.


Ideas for Use:

Use a 50/50 mixture of lavender infused vinegar and water for an all purpose cleaner.

Add a cup of this solution to a bucket of hot water to clean your floors.

For tough cleaning, use pure without diluting.


Isn't it wonderful to create something from your own home that has value and a sense of aromatic beauty?  


Here is a label you can apply to your spray bottle (just right click on image and press "save") which I think is half the fun! You may also be interested in What to Make and Do with Your Lovely Lavender {DIY List}.


"And the scent of the lavender—not lavender water, but the lavender itself, that puts you in mind of country churches, and old bibles, and dusky low-ceiled parlours on Sunday afternoons—the scent of the lavender was so pure and sweet, and lovely!"
~  George MacDonald


This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making MondaysModest Mom Monday'sMonday's MusingsMake Your Home Sing MondayGood Morning Mondays,  The ScoopTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 TuesdaysRoses of InspirationTuesdays with a TwistRaising HomemakersWise Woman Link UpHomestead Blog Hop Wow Us Wednesdays, Wildcrafting WednesdayCoffee and ConversationSo Much at HomeHomemaking ThursdaysHome Sweet HomeHearts for Home ThursdaysHome Acre HopGrowing in Grace ThursdaysFrom the Farm Blog HopFarmgirl FridayFront Porch Friday Blog HopAwesome Life Friday Link UpSimply Natural Saturdays and Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thank you lovely ladies for hosting these. Lavender label graphics are courtesy of Reading, Roses and Prose.

21 comments:

  1. My lavender bush is ready to be harvested! I love this idea! Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :) The smell is amazing!!! I am starting a new batch right now so that by the time this one is done, the next will be ready… Hope you likey!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful idea for all my lavender, friend! Thanks and hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely idea! I like how frugal it is! I'll be featuring this next Monday on the Barn Hop! Be sure to stop by and get an "I've been featured button" if you'd like.... you'll find them on the right sidebar under "BUTTONS".
    Blessings,
    Amy @ Homestead Revival

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for featuring, sounds like fun :)

      Delete
  4. This is interesting. I want to make my own products, but have not made the "jump" yet. I don't have lavender in my herb garden, but I do have Lemon Mint which smells so good. Do you think I could use this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do! I have seen that "flavor" in some dish soaps :) Let me know how it all turns out!

      Delete
  5. I don't have lavender at home, but i have lemon tree, can i use lemon for making it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon peels are perfect for this as a substitute! Lemons boast antibacterial properties and because of their acidity, they are able to cut grease. We have a series on what to do with lemons that you may enjoy. It is found here: http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2013/01/introducing-citrus-series.html

      Happy homemaking ~ JES

      Delete
  6. Lavender & lemon peels together... Mmmmmm :)
    When done, discard the plant material into your garden... or compost :)
    ~Tess

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've infused vinegar with orange peels, rosemary and mint at different times for different uses. I've never infused with lavender and I've just harvested bunches of it since I love its scent. I just might give this a try. Thanks for sharing! (visiting from the Front Porch Friday hop)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI, I just read this post. I think this is a great idea. Because it is winter now I on't have any fresh lavender but do have a lot of dried lavender. Would this work as well? I just want to say how much I love all your posts!! They are very inspirational. Thank-you for all of them. Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, thank you for taking the time to comment :) Dried lavender will work fine! I would probably fill the jar between 1/4 to 1/2 way up with dried lavender since it is stronger than the fresh. Everything else would be the same... Happy homemaking!

      Delete
  9. Does the jar top have to be plastic? Can we reuse any jar and lid? Will Saran-Wrap work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any lid will work! Just line it with saran wrap first if it is a metal lid to prevent corroding from the vinegar. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  10. How much lavender essential oil do you use if you don't have fresh or dried lavender?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, you will find the info on this post --

      http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/08/restocking-cleaning-closet-wlavender.html

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  11. I am SO excited about this. I'm just harvesting the lavender now and I have all the ingredients to start soap-making, and I didn't want to have to buy oils when I have tons of bushes of lavender. :-) woot woot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.
    Städhjälp i Stockholm

    ReplyDelete